Date created: September 2011
Web Address: www.barnardos.ie
About the Project: I recently joined Barnardos as their Online Executive and one of the first projects I was asked to undertake was a refresh and update of their official website.
A review of the site showed that it was well designed and worked well from a usability point of view. It did not require a major overhaul, but rather a minor cosmetic update and a reworking of the way certain information was presented.
The changes that I applied included:
- An updated colour scheme that adheres more closely to brand values
- Redesign of site homepage with new social network widgets
- New imagery on key section homepages
- A grid-based layout, using the 16 column, 960 pixel web grid.
- Promotional boxes for the right-hand menu
- A new structure for links on the section homepages
- Installation of social sharing for content with ShareThis
- Update of headers and menus for a clearer hierarchy